“With the development of more functional and accessible devices, being able to learn on any device, anywhere, and at any time, mobile learning is the paradigm shift occurring in many schools” – Kari Stubbs, USA
As a member of the NMC Horizon K12 Report advisory board, which brings together educators from across the globe to anticipate trends and challenges in education’s future, Daily Edventures alum Kari Stubbs, PhD has a front-row seat to observe the impact technology is having on education. And as an executive at BrainPOP®, a producer of interactive digital content for the K-12 space, a former classroom teacher and an International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) board member, Stubbs’ perspective on 21st century learning is uniquely well rounded. We caught up with Stubbs again recently to talk to her about BrainPOP’s work, her impressions of the space where technology and education intersect, and the trends we can expect to see in the future based on the past several years of education and technology innovation.
With the development of more functional and accessible devices, being able to learn on any device, anywhere, and at any time, mobile learning is the paradigm shift occurring in many schools, Stubbs says. With schools now leveraging devices to make learning a 24/7 experience, breaking free of the conventional brick and mortar school day and being able to “drill down into the individual learners need at the time they need it” is a trend that Stubbs anticipates will not be going away anytime soon. BrainPOP offers mobile learning on all major platforms, most recently adding a Windows 8 app that has already been downloaded more than 10,000 times,
Stubbs noted, “There is this big hunger on the part of teachers and students and even parents for good quality content that will play nicely on those devices.”
Stubbs is seeing increased demand for educational games overall, noting that as devices shift and grow to become more advanced, games will allow educators to get real-time individualized assessment to make effective strategic decisions from the gaming environment. In answer to this, BrainPOP launched an online gaming portal, GameUp®, just over a year ago. They partnered with leading education game developers to offer a breadth of cross-curricular titles. Thus far they’ve seen more than 1.5 million hours of play.
This fall, BrainPOP launched the Mixer™ which lets teachers personalize quizzes for their students to better evaluate learning.
“Kind of like an assessment D.J.,” Stubbs jokes.
And as individualized learning becomes more prevalent, BrainPOP has “My BrainPOP” on the horizon, which will allow schools and districts to provide students with individual accounts, enabling better tracking and assessment.
Supporting BrainPOP’s resources is BrainPOP Educators, an online professional community of more than 300,000 teachers who share tools, lesson plans and best practices with each other. Those resources are laid out alongside the BrainPOP educational content that teachers access. As more data becomes available and categorized, Stubbs says, “there will be a redefinition of what we are teaching and how we will teach it.”
We’re proud to have BrainPOP as a partner, and we look forward to seeing how Stubbs and her team help take game-based learning to the next level.
Listen to Kari talk about what BrainPOP is doing around education and technology:
- Watch a different animated movie every day, then test your new knowledge with an interactive quiz.
- Featured Movie topics tie in to current events, historical milestones and figures, holidays, and more! This app is perfect for informal, exploratory learning at home or on the go. Got a BrainPOP username through your school? Site subscribers can log in directly from the app to access all of BrainPOP’s award-winning content at no additional cost.
- For more than a decade, BrainPOP has been a trusted, go-to source of animated, educational content. With more than 11 million visits a month to our sites, we’re used by millions of students in thousands of schools, at home, and on mobile devices around the globe.
The more you know, the more you know!®
- Get a different animated movie – plus its related quiz – every day!
- Award-winning educational content tying in to current events, historical milestones and figures, holidays, and more!
- Perfect for informal, exploratory learning at home or on the go
- Ideal for kids in grades 3-8/ages 8-14