Professor M.S. Rao is a prolific author and international management guru with a thriving consultancy focused on building leaders – whether they are already in management positions, or are young students, just starting to think about their futures. His award-winning book, 21 Success Sutras for Leaders, was recently selected as one of ten finalists for the 2013 Department of Leadership Studies Outstanding Leadership Book Award at the University of San Diego, and his YouTube channel is full of insightful videos for current and future leaders.

But as a native of India, where teaching approaches are often rooted in the past, Professor Rao is also an outspoken advocate for innovation in the classroom, and for an increased focus on preparing students for careers. In his blog (and many other public forums), Professor Rao takes every opportunity to share his dream objective.

“My lifetime goal is to build one million students as global leaders,” Professor Rao states, and he sees unlimited opportunity in the large and relatively young population of India.

It’s a worthy goal, and Professor Rao, who is recognized as one of the world’s foremost leadership consultants, coaches, and speakers, clearly has the passion to pursue it. Enjoy today’s Daily Edventure with Professor M.S. Rao.

What drew you to the field of education? Why is it important to you?

I am passionate about students. I get excited when I stay with them, teach them, and when they appreciate and applaud my teaching.

Can you tell us about a favorite teacher, or someone who made a difference in your education?

I grew by self-learning. No teacher influenced me. If anybody influenced me, it would only be Google. Hence, Google is my guru.

Please describe how your professional achievements have advanced innovation in education.  What has changed as a result of your work?

I created an innovative teaching tool – the Meka’s Method leadership teaching tool – 11E Leadership Grid; and a new leadership tool – Soft Leadership Grid, based on this new leadership style (Soft Leadership, copyrighted with Jossey Bass).

In your opinion, how has the use of apps, cellphones, and mobile devices changed education? And your work?

This technology has revolutionized — and become an integral part of — education.

In your view, what is the most exciting innovation happening in education today?

Unlearning and relearning with the help of technology.

Is there a 21st century skill (critical thinking and problem solving, communication, collaboration, creativity and innovation) that you are most passionate about? Why?

I am passionate about creativity and innovation in education, and I developednew thinking on innovative education published by Emerald.Collaboration is key to survival and success with rapid-changing technology.

If you could give one educational tool to every child in the world, what would it be? Why?

Be passionate in sharing your knowledge. Learn, unlearn and relearn.

What is your country doing well currently to support education?

I am from India where education is yet to be revolutionized. India must get out of rote learning and 3Rs – reading, writing and reproducing.

How must education change in your country to ensure that students are equipped to thrive in the 21st century?

What is the biggest obstacle you have had to overcome to ensure students are receiving a quality education?

Indian education is based on theory, not practicality. Lack of quality research in Indian education is another major obstacle.

How can teachers or school leaders facing similar challenges implement what you’ve learned through your work?

Teachers must be passionate to teach to students. Once they are passionate, other challenges can be overcome easily.

How have you incorporated mobile devices/apps into your classroom and have you seen any improvements?

Not yet. But some students use tablets and mobile devices.

About Professor M.S. Rao, Founder, MSR Leadership Consultants India

Hyderabad, India Email: profmsr14@gmail.com

@professormsrao

Interested in leadership?

Check out the hot topics area of the Partners in Learning Network:

The Hot Topic offers report, analyses, insights and commentary from qualified experts on today’s most relevant topics for teachers, professors, and anyone interested in following hot topics on education. Educators will be encouraged to contribute their ideas and help build the growing Hot Topic community with insightful comments.

This entry was posted in 21st century skills, Building Teacher Capacity, Information, People. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to “Education must be made practical. It must emphasize employability and empowerment, in addition to enlightenment.” – Professor M.S. Rao, India

1. K. Kirti Kumari says:

Inspiring article on Indian education which focuses on theory only. It opens eyes of everyone to emphasize education on employability, empowerment, and enlightenment.

I am one of the die-hard followers of Professor M.S.Rao. He is grooming me as a global leader on non-profit basis to accomplish his vision to build one million students as global leaders.

I want to see him as President of India one day to lead India and world.

Looking forward to more such inspiring articles from this international leadership guru.

2. Ganesh says:

Truly inspiring article emphasizing on learning, unlearning and relearning. I regularly follow the blogs of Professor M.S.Rao as his articles are about learning and leadership. He is passionate about students and wants to make a difference in their lives by improving their attitude, and to groom them as global leaders.

Kudos to Professor Rao!

3. Ram says:

I appreciate Professor Rao’s passion to build one million students as global leaders.
    The interview is thought provoking. It throws light on fate of Indian education which needs to be reinvented to bring it to international standards.
    I am his die-hard follower

4. Vijay Murali says:

Although Professor Rao is younger to me in age, I am still his follower because of his leadership ability and his passion for students. He wants to transform Indian youth which I admire the most.

I know him personally as nobody helped him to come up to this level. He mostly learnt by trial and error methods. His experiences and failures taught him great lessons. All these things made him very tough. He did not have the privilege to study in educational institutions. But he has an intense fire in his belly that brought him up to global level.

He thinks about students throughout the day to bring positive change among Indian students.

I support his ambition to become President of India one day.

5. M.M.Hussein says:

I read his book – 21 Success Sutras for Leaders. It contains amazing leadership ideas and insights for leaders and CEOs. I have become his follower instantly.

I enjoy listening his you tube speeches and reading his books on leaders.

Professor Rao is a great inspiration for Indian students.

6. Shilpa Kumari says:

Good interview. Indian education should focus on employability. It should get out of rote learing where education has become boring.

I attended the leadership training programs of Professor Rao who trains from his heart by blending various psychometric tools to ensure takeaways among the participants.

I am one of his followers.

7. Suresh says:

great article with amazing insights on Indian education. I am part of your mission to become one of the global leaders. I am your follower. I want to see you as the President of India one day.

8. Kalyan says:

There is much needs to be done to reinvent Indian education system. This article is a step in the right direction.

Hats off to Professor M. S. Rao for taking the initiative. He is definitely a ‘Hero in Education’ with his passion towards students.

9. Ravi Kumar says:

I am a die-hard follower of Professor Rao. I know him for the last 8 years. One thing I observed in him is his passion towards students to make them as leaders. Because of this passion, he has been crowned with the title, “Born for the Students.” by his students. You ask any student in the college where Professor Rao worked about him. The student will respond – “Professor M.S. Rao – Born for the Students.” It is a great honor for any professor during his lifeime.

I salute this legend from the core of my heart.

10. Nasreen says:

I had the honour to attend Professor Rao’s leadership training program. His sessions are highly interactive and inspiring. You can see his enthusiasm and energy. You can also see his love towards teaching.

I have instantly become his follower.
    Above all, he is very simple and humble.

11. Sravan Kumar says:

very good interview with well-punched ideas and insights on Indian education. Professor Rao is not only a Hero in education but also a Hero in leadership globally.

12. Naidu S says:

Professor Rao is a passionate educator, author and guru. I am always his fan and follower.

13. P.Nagesh says:

Very good article related to education & technology how is important to to days education system. very good sir keep it up. your thoughts will give boost to all youth.

14. Rajesh Pershad says:

Dear Rao Sir,

Yes, You are truly Real Hero in Academics. I know you personally, you are a man with courage and have a burning zeal to inspire many Indian’s to become a responsible citizens on this planet. Your Inspirations gives proper respiration to many global upcoming leaders. As we know that Todays world is full of Tension without Pension, your articles and lectures acts as a relief for them.

I wish Prof. Rao all the very best in his future endeavors.

Rajesh Pershad
    Corporate Trainer &
    Management Practitioner
    Hyderabad – India.

15. Kishore Naidu says:

A beautiful article well written and punched with teaching outcomes. I applaud Professor Rao for his honest comments on Indian education. It is time to revolutionize Indian education to create interest among students.

16. Venkata Reddy says:

I personally attended Professor M.S.Rao’s training sessions and I regularly read his articles from his three blogs. One thing is sure that he is passionate about students. he thinks round the clock to transform Indian youth. he is also follower of Swami Vivekananda as I have learnt about him from the interviews of newspapers.

Your website is privileged to feature his interview.

17. Sumagna says:

Sir,
    You are really very great in all aspects. You can change the Indian style of education through your ideas.
    All the best for your future.

Regards
    Dr. Sumagna

18. Y. Poornima says:

It is great to know that Professor Rao is taking care of grooming leaders. It is a nice initiative. He should take care in selction of students to build good teams. His initiative is laudable because nobody cares for anybody in this world presently.

I am glad to know that people talk about Professor Rao in the social meida. I would be glad if I can meet this charismatic person in peson who is passionate to shape students.

I wish him all the best to accomplish his vision.

19. Harikrishna says:

Excellent article on Indian education. Professor Rao is passionate about shaping students. Here is my endorsement about this living leadership legend:
    “The audience can easily understand the leadership training sessions of Professor M.S.Rao. Anybody can understand and apply his training content from entry level to senior level. His sessions are highly interactive and inspiring. He gives great examples and anecdotes to bring out behavioral changes among the audiences. I am his follower.” – B. Harikrishna

20. REVANTH says:

I got a great opportunity…. why because prof ms. rao is teaching me&my friends and also guiding me from student leader to corporate leader.He is really very great in all aspects,am devotee of prof ms. rao
    He bless me for the better future

21. REVANTH says:

I pray for god to accomplish his vision to build 1 million global leaders

22. Sukumar says:

Great article! Here is my endorsement about this legend:
    “Professor M. S. Rao is an inspiration for Indian students. He knows how to reach out to students accurately. He has unique set of psychometric tools to inspire students to groom them as better citizens and leaders. Above all, he is a leadership guru par excellence.” – Sukumar S. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-MSRao/451516514937414

23. Dr. Kanase K says:

I appreciate Professor Rao’s passion for teaching. I observed him when he was doing PhD in India. He often talked about students and how to revolutionise Indian education.

I congratulate Prof Rao for sharing his thoughts to the world.

24. V. Preeti says:

Professor Rao is the right intellectual in a wrong land. If he were born in western countries he would have grown globally rapidly. For him, God is Guru. He rose from humble origins and he never forgot his roots. He associates with students closely and friendly to shape them as great citizens. India is proud of this self-made intellectual.

I wish him good luck!

25. D. Praveen says:

The ideas and insights on Indian education are well-punched. Great interview with unconventional approach to Indian education.

26. Dr. J.V. K Reddy says:

More research is needed in Indian education. Govt of India must invest in research and development. It must encourage faculty to participate in international conferences to get exposed. The interview is an eye opener on the status of Indian education.

27. areef Shaik says:

Great interview on education. Here is my endorsement about this living leadership legend:
    Professor M.S.Rao is an excellent speaker. I underwent his training program. He trains from the core of his heart. I am his follower.- Areef Shaik

28. Aditya K says:

We have covered Professor M.S.Rao’s interview in our newspapers eight months ago. We have received a great response from our readers. This interview is a different one covering from the perspective of Indian education alone.

Hats off to Prof Rao for his bold and straighforward feedback on Indian education.

29. Subba Reddy says:

An insightful and thought provoking article by Professor Rao. I am one of his die hard fans.
    Professor Rao is very passionate about psychometric tools and techniques. He explores and applies various teaching tools in the classroom to bring out behavioural changes among students.
    Professor Rao is a passionate professor, great author and an inspiring international leadership guru.
    I wish you all the best!

30. Suresh Kumar says:

An article worth investing your time. It is an open that opens your eyes on the fate of education in India. It calls for action to invent education system as per the needs of the day.

31. Professor Rao teaching tools in the classroom to bring out behavioral changes among students.

He says ” Failure is not a .stop it is just a comma. This world is small but life is big. You need to reach heights with yours life lessons .Always keep sharing your knowledge and ideas that leads to better society and better nations with Excellent leaders of India.Remember each student is unique in class. so,never compare yourself with others.Always love to be called as student of the India”.

32. Excellent write-up. I certainly appreciate this website. Keep it up!