Connecting students to science and fun – Tom Gamble, USA
Middle School Math and Science Teacher
Omaha Virtual School
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
“One of my favorite activities is having students model elements, compounds, and mixtures in Minecraft aligned with my eighth-grade standards in Physical Science. Students were excited to model their products using the components within Minecraft. They created an “arena” to put their items, used signs to describe them, and photographed them to export to their exit tickets for the day as their evidence. Whether they turned iron ore into iron, or sand into glass, they found multiple models to show their understanding. Students quickly learned that a fun, engaging program could allow them to learn about a science topic.”
About Tom Gamble
- Birthplace: Brunswick, Georgia
- Educational background: BS Elementary Education, University of Nebraska at Omaha; MS Elementary Education, University of Nebraska at Omaha; MA Middle School Mathematics, University of Nebraska.
- Favorite Microsoft product, tool, technology: Minecraft Education Edition
- What is the best advice you have ever received? Don’t be afraid to try new things. Change is good.
- Website I check every day: ESPN
- Favorite childhood memory: Moving to different states and countries.
- Favorite book: Anything by Clive Cussler or Matthew Riley.