“This way of working has changed my way of understanding education.” – Oscar Herrero, Spain
ICT and PE Teacher
Junta de Castilla y León
Microsoft Innovative Educator Oscar Herrero says his favorite classroom activities involve gamification, using virtual reality, and collaborative questionnaires to inspire his students.
“Both of these activities involve each student in an active, dynamic, and motivating way,” he tells us. “They adapt learning to today’s society.”
Herrero’s teaching style has evolved as new approaches like gamification, the flipped classroom, and project-based learning have gained traction. He even works to involve students’ families in the classroom.
“This way of working has changed my way of understanding education,” Herrero says. “My students are very happy and especially motivated with my classes. The community – including parents and other colleagues — has responded very positively to it.”
What does Herrero see as the biggest challenge for today’s teachers?
“In my opinion, the fundamental challenge of education is the need to adapt content to a meaningful context of learning, based on today’s society,” he explains. “We need to help our children become citizens of the 21st century, with a focus on values such as teamwork, fellowship, mutual respect, and the ability to strive and overcome obstacles.”
About Oscar Herrero
- Educational background: I have been a teacher since the 2007 with primary and high school experience. In the last seven courses working as teacher trainer, ICT teacher, and PE teacher.
- Favorite Microsoft product, tool, technology: OneNote
- Favorite book: Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
- Website I check every day: Twitter
- Favorite childhood memory: A visit to the cockpit of a plane. One of my main hobbies.
- What is the best advice you have ever received? Do your work with joy and your students will respond with even more joy.